Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Writing Bookworm Review: Divergent by Veronica Roth

I just finished listening to the audiobook of Divergent by Veronica Roth, read by Emma Galvin. This was a good book. (Photo taken from https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13335037-divergent)


I enjoyed how the character histories played into the plot, and everything just flowed. I'll probably listen to the book again to try to pick up on the subtleties of working in the histories. Like how Tris's mother's history was worked in with just a few sentences, and later Tris realizing her mother had a memento of her past (trying not to give anything away if you haven't read the book already) and what it meant of her mother's past.

If you have issues, like I do, of working in your characters pasts, pick up this book and you may learn a thing or two.

I had some difficulties keeping the factions straight, but that was more because I was multi-tasking while listening. There was usually some comment after mentioning a faction that reminded me what it is that faction is known for. This meant I didn't have to rewind the recording a lot to figure out what was going on.

The story is entertaining, and keeps you wanting more; to know what happens and how Tris will get out of the situations she is in, or how she will solve her current problem. Just like our lives, Tris faces one problem after another. Not like our lives, most of her problems could mean her death.

I give this book, 4 bookworms out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment