Saturday, November 7, 2015

NaNoWriMo Update Week 1


Why is my dog covering her face? Well, that's because week one of NaNoWriMo hasn't exactly been smooth. I had a rough start, not really knowing what my story was going to be about. I at least did figure out before going in that I don't really do outlines.

The hardest part about accepting myself as a pantser - writing without an outline or much planning - was I was expecting to write in a linear fashion. Here's the beginning, here's the middle, here's the end. Instead what I'm slowing accepting and allowing to happen is I will jump between scenes going on in my story. I'm not done with the beginning, I still don't know how my characters meet, but I'm already writing the middle and what I think may be one of the ending scenes.

Once I accepted how I wanted to write and not how I thought I should write, the words started coming more freely. Now I'm just dealing with that inner evil voice saying that I can't do it or that the story is no good. But then I look over at the Picachu doll I have sitting on my desk and think "Picachu, Thunderbolt!" This brings a little of my logical side forward, and I start to remember, of course no one will want to read this, it's just a rough draft. When I polish it up, it will be a shining gem. Right now, it's a diamond in the rough.

I still haven't put in any writing time on my story yet today - I have that planned for later this evening when my fiance will be at work and I'll have the house to just myself and one of our dogs. (Our oldest is still staying at the Vet, but we may be able to bring her home for at least a few days soon. She's the one in the photo to be honest.) I'm looking forward to catching up in word count, by the end of today, to be back on pace I should have 11,666 words...I'm only a little over 4,000 now so I don't think I'm going to fully catch up today, but I also have Monday off from work.

How is your NaNoWriMo experience going? Please let me know, I'm curious to find out. Or if you have any tips, again, whatever you have please share. This is my first year participating in NaNoWriMo and I'm sure there are many others out there. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment