Saturday, September 26, 2015

Challenged With Writing

I would love to write more, every time I sit down though, out comes the monster living in my head telling me all kinds of things to prevent me from writing.

Currently, the monster is challenging me, and who I am. I have a scene in my head, that's been developing over the past few days. I sat down at the computer to write this scene. This was the sole purpose of my sitting here. The way the scene plays out...I kind of look back on it and feel almost like I'm reading someone else. It almost doesn't feel like me because of this one detail that seems like something I would never think of because anytime something like this comes up in actual conversation I shy away from the conversation.

I think because of this detail being something I would usually shy away from, I am having difficulty actually putting it to the computer screen. I have this little monster poking and laughing at me saying "what are you thinking? People are never going to read this. You don't want to read this, you don't even want to write it. Look how uncomfortable you are with this idea."

I'm thinking I want to grow, I want to challenge myself. If I stayed in my comfort zone, my writing would probably be very boring. So boring, even I wouldn't want to read. Yet, I sit here starring at a blank Word document....

Times like this, what my fiance usually says to me pops in my head. When I talk to him and complain how the words aren't coming, or I'm scared to do something he usually asks if I want to do this thing, which of course I do, so he says "then just do it." It may not always be as easy as just doing it, but the words have started to appear on the screen. All it took was my knight in shining armor to chase away the monster in my head.

Before this monster breaks free, I'm going to try to get this scene completely out and on the screen; or before the day catches up to me and I have to go actually work on the job that pays the bills. (Shudders.)

How do you defeat the monsters in your head that keep you from doing what you want? Let me know in the comments below, or tweet me @Pixi714.

You can find me on Twitter, Goodreads, and YouTube.

No comments:

Post a Comment