Sunday, July 28, 2013

Cleaning the Bathroom Fan

Well, due to time, weather, and some other variables we didn't do much this week. I did however, clean the bathroom fan for the first time. I've learned this was probably a bad thing. Not cleaning the fan, but taking so long to do it. Most sites I found say you should clean your bathroom fan at least twice a year.

All I did this time was a rough cleaning. This photo was taken after I cleaned it and, not having seen it before, you can hardly tell I cleaned it.



Our fan is a combination fan and light, I didn't want something that looked like a fan and, bonus, the light over the sink is the only other light in the bathroom. So showering at night, you'd be in dim light, nice when wanting to be romantic but all the other times, not very nice.

You can still see some spots on the glass. These spots are burned on bug guts. Yep that's right. Bugs either crawled in or got sucked in then died when they couldn't find their way out. After turning the light on for several years now, they got burned to the glass. When I took the glass down and initially tried to dump the bugs in the trash, nothing fell into the trash can. I had to get a rag and carefully scrub them off the glass.

There of course, was also a bunch of dust and cob webs. I used the rag I had to remove those as well. It probably wouldn't have been a bad idea to take one of the small attachments to the vacuum and go into the vent a bit rather than just what I could see, but I didn't think of that until I had put everything back together so I could move on with everything I had to get done. So I will see what the vacuum gets when I next get a chance to clean the vent.

If it's been a while for you since you last cleaned your bathroom vent, I recommend putting at least 5 minutes aside to go do that. It's all it takes really.

No comments:

Post a Comment