Monday, June 8, 2015

Book Review: Cherringham, A Cosy Crime Series, The Last Puzzle


I gave Cherringham, The Last Puzzle by Matthew Costello and Noel Richards 4 out of 5 stars because it was so well written, it just draws you in and makes you wonder that pressing question - Who did it?

The story is about Sarah and David who are asked to be witnesses to a reading of a will for a man they didn't know. Sarah's father was a friend of this gentleman though. Turns out, this guy wrote the crossword puzzles for The New York Times, and for one of his potential heirs to gain their fortune, they must complete a crossword relating to the town of Cherringham.

It is Sarah and David's job to make sure none of the four potential heirs work with one another. They are to figure the answers to the crossword by themselves. At first Sarah and David are a bit, "okay, this is new, and different, why a crossword?" Then, when David goes through the deceased's home, he finds his heart pills on a table across the room from the chair where his body was found. This sets off all kinds of alarms because he always kept his pills in arms reach so he could take one to save his life.

This starts David and Sarah on another mystery. The killer left no evidence of their crime, so they have to get creative to catch them red handed. There are no life or death stand offs, but the story doesn't need them.

I found this story entertaining, and I couldn't help but reminisce back to the Agatha Christie books I would borrow from my mother. I was in love with Hercule Poirot. The writing makes me think of how Christie would wind a story and you would lucky to solve the mystery before the great Poirot. This book did exactly that, it drew me in and I did not get lucky and was surprised when the killer was revealed. I also liked the 'show' that was put on to catch them.

I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.


You can find me on:
twitter
google+

No comments:

Post a Comment