Friday, May 1, 2015

Writing Bookworm Review: The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielsen


Holy mother freaking starships! (Not sure where the space reference came from.) You have got to read The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielsen if you haven't already. This book is so phenomenal, I would have to give it 5 out of 5 stars.

I checked out the book from my local library using Overdrive Media. It looked like it might be an okay and entertaining book.Wow, was I wrong. This book was more than okay, it's a Superman kind of super. I started listening to the book at work, then after listening to it there, I was so hooked I had to continue while I was home. I just finished the book last night.

The story is about the kingdom of Carthya, the King, Queen, and Crowned Prince have just been murdered. The Regents are keeping it quiet though to attempt to keep the kingdoms enemies from knowing how weak they have just become. One of the Regents goes to various orphanages and brings a few boys back to his home to learn to become the long missing and presumed dead, Prince Jaron. His ship had been attacked and sunk by pirates and in 4 years, his body has never been recovered.

Jennifer A Nielsen does a wonderful job of building suspense, and leaves hints to something you will probably see coming, but I'm not going to say anything more on the topic if I can help it. It's part of what makes this book so fun to read. Don't worry, if you catch on to the hints, leading to future events, you won't be disappointed. You still will not know what is going to happen next. You will wish for and anxiously await events to take place, wanting to know how everything goes down.

This book drew me in, and had me so worried for the boys, one in particular, wondering how they were going to get out of a certain situation, or get away, I drove my fiance nuts pacing our house. A book has never filled me with so much nervous excitement that I had to move.

Whether or not you intend on becoming a writer, you need to go pick up The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielsen. There is suspense, surprise, sword fights, treason, murder...this book has everything!

Jennifer builds the characters and gives their histories seamlessly. The narration doesn't really feel like narration. And the way the suspense builds without you really realizing it, it is something else. This book is a must have for any writer, and for anyone who loves or even hates to read. Read this book, and you won't regret doing so.

Something else a book has never made me do...I just placed an order on Amazon for The False Prince, The Runaway King, and The Shadow Throne on Amazon so I can own all three books in the Ascendance trilogy. Run, do not walk to your local library or bookstore and check out The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielsen, put down whatever book you are currently reading, and start this book. You will be glad you did.

1 comment: