Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Book Review: The Young Elites by Marie Lu

Title: The Young Elites
Author: Marie Lu
Format: audiobook via Overdrive
Narrator: Carla Corvo, Lannon Killea
Publisher: Listening Library

We've all wished for special powers at some point or another. In The Young Elites children have special powers allowing them to change people's minds, or whip up a storm. But the rest of civilization is afraid of them, for obvious reasons. Who knows what they will use their abilities for. These abilities were received as a side effect of getting over something called the blood plague.

The story is interesting and touches on family relationships. When one person in the family has the blood plague and then gets an ability, does the family support them or turn them in to the inquisition to be killed. Like the Salem witch trials, there are those without abilities also being burned at the stake.

The family and friend dynamics are something else. The story also had me thinking about the consequences of our actions. How we do something thinking it's a good reason and for the best, only to have it blow in our faces, and we lose.

I found the story entertaining, and had me thinking about our lives here in the real world. I really like a book that gets me thinking about my actions and how I could possibly do or be better. This book is a definite recommendation to all fantasy lovers.

You can find me on TwitterGoodreadsYouTube, and Facebook.


No comments:

Post a Comment