Sunday, August 25, 2013

New Doorknob on our Bathroom Door

I went to the store today and bought a new doorknob. Why just a doorknob when we are not redoing the bathroom for at least another year? Because you can not close the door fully and hope to leave the bathroom without a fight. The doorknob would stick and would not fully turn so you'd be stuck turning it right and left until it finally gave up and let you out.


So our existing doorknob saw it's final minutes coming... 


...and couldn't help but put up one more fight. The existing doorknob had a cover to keep the screws hidden and I'm sure made it look nice when it was first installed. Now, this just made removing it a pain because we couldn't get at the screws with a screwdriver. (Later I found a tool that could have helped at this stage.) I had to call Jeff in as his nickname when it comes to DIY is Mr. Destructo. You want it taken apart, Jeff will get it apart in seconds. Even my Dad believes in this name as last summer Jeff helped him take the pool in my parents deck apart - the kids were grown and moved out and they didn't really use it so they had decided to get rid of it. It took Jeff and my Dad maybe an hour including clean up. The part that took the longest was carefully removing the liner as there was still water in it that the pump could not get to and remove.


So, Mr. Destructo had at the doorknob and in minutes, there was a hole in the door, but the hole I had been looking for.


I took a damp paper towel to the hole to try and clean up the black dust that had gathered in the hole and then washed my hands as it had gotten on me from trying to take the doorknob off.



 The picture above right best shows the color I chose - brushed nickel. And below is the tool that could have helped take the original knob off and helped put the new one on. I found it when I went through our tool box for a phillips screwdriver to put the new doorknob in because I had a flat screwdriver for the removal of the original doorknob. It allowed me to get into the tight area between the knob and the, well what I'll call the guard of the knob - that part that goes against the door.


I already tested the knob after telling Jeff that if he heard me screaming he should break down the door. Thankfully that wasn't necessary. So if anyone needs to use the restroom while over at our house, feel free to shut the door fully and completely, and not worry about getting stuck in the bathroom.





No comments:

Post a Comment