Sunday, June 9, 2013

Have you been to your local Farmer's Market?

I finally went to my local Farmer's Market. It was quite an experience. There were activities for the kids, such as washing clothes the old fashioned way, with a wash board and everything. My fiance and I were surprised to see kids actually washing clothes as a form of play! We joked that this was apparently the secret to get kids to do the laundry.

Of course there were several people there all selling different items. There were a few vendors selling jewelry, which surprised me again because it's not something I picture when I hear Farmer's Market. I usually picture a farm - which my Farmer's Market is held at a historical farm - and organic produce, plants, maybe some seeds for people to start their own plants from scratch so to speak. So when we got there and saw 2 or 3 booths for jewelry, I was pleasantly surprised.

They had a few vendors selling plants. We purchased 2 tomato plants for $10 and got a pepper plant for free! I can't wait for the plants to produce tomatoes and peppers. The pepper plant does have a pepper already starting so we may get a pepper or 2 before a tomato.

We also got some organic strawberries. They are very delicious. I thought about cutting some and putting them on some ice cream earlier tonight, but decided to wait since my fiance is working right now and I'd like to make sure he gets some before I down all the strawberries. The strawberries were $4.

There was also several different cheeses, meats, and sauces. Kettle corn, honey, and even eggs were also available. I'm considering going back next week to see what is new, or to pick up some things I thought about getting this time like a goat cheese I tried that wasn't bad, which is something coming from me because I usually can't do cheese by itself; it just doesn't taste right. I just couldn't decide if it would be worth getting these items or if they would spoil in our fridge because we can't eat them fast enough like some of our food does now. (On a side note, I'm looking into different methods of preserving food like canning or getting one of those food vacuums that eliminate the air in a bag to store the food longer.)

I recommend for anyone to check out their local Farmer's Market, it's quite interesting to see what you find and a great way to support local growers and other businesses.

No comments:

Post a Comment