Monday, May 20, 2013

Balancing Act


It's a balancing act I tell you. Trying to balance time with family, friends, and that horrible monster call the To Do List. This past weekend nothing happened because of everyday duties like going to the grocery store, and events like my cousin's wedding reception. We did decide that I no longer need to worry about watering the grass seed since it has been 2 weeks and nothing has sprouted. There are also areas that never had a chance like right along the fence because our dogs like barking at people as they walk by and they get right up to the fence.

You may not be able to read what is on the To Do List, but there are a few projects that I am very excited about like cleaning out the garage, and a few tasks involved with finishing the Family Room. Then we just need to figure out what to do with all the donated furniture as we have too much furniture (never thought we would have too much furniture but we do). We have 3 chairs, a couch, and a TV stand in the Family Room, not to mention the fireplace. There is another couch in the Living Room that basically takes up a wall, 2 TV stands (no that is not a mistype, there are really 2 TV stands), and 2 rocking chairs. There is also a Queen bed, a dresser, and some other miscellaneous boxes and such in the basement. For some homes this may not be a lot. Our home however, is only 1200 square feet. If you want to count the basement then we get roughly 2000 square feet. The rooms are not large by any means.

There are also the goals I have, like writing 3 articles each week. These often involve research, or reading a book that I plan on reviewing, which takes a lot of time from things after I get home from work.

I am failing at this balancing act. There is just too much to do and not enough time to do it. It doesn't help that I'm ready to crash at like 10:00 pm just about every night. I think it's a mental tired, not physical since I sit around all day at one desk or another. My head is always going, I can't seem to turn it off. And most of the day I feel like it's working on 2 things at once, one thing in the forefront of my mind like making dinner, and another that sneaks in like outlining one of those 3 articles I'm working on.

Anyways, I'm making a serious effort to basically add time to my day by not crashing at 10:00 pm each night, and figuring out priorities. While I want to be social and hang out with all my friends and cheer them on in their adventures, I also have things I need and want to do for me. So I have to start thinking about what is really more important. Basically take what I do at work (prioritize processing work and projects) and bring it home. (Prioritizing and the organization, if I had those things at home, I'd have had this posted yesterday, and our home office wouldn't be drowning in paper.)

No comments:

Post a Comment