Tuesday, December 6, 2016

NaNaWriMo Wrap Up

Once again, I've failed at NaNoWriMo. Not for lack of trying. I'm starting to think the word count is what is working against me. Working a full-time job and writing 50,000 words while still having time for friends, family, and the unexpected is next to impossible. This is especially true because I don't want to just write whatever on the page.

I want it to make sense, and yes I do delete. If I write a scene and then change something later which affects that scene, I'll go back and rewrite it so everything flows and makes sense. This makes hitting the 50,000 near impossible since I keep actively trying to improve the story. It just doesn't work for me to write through, and not change as I go then wait to finish and go back.

It does help to have some kind of goal though. As soon as I knew I wasn't going to come close to 50,000 words, I lost almost all motivation to write. Of course this didn't however stop my brain from playing through some of the scenes I was trying to write out.

I also had issues finding time to write each day. Sometimes work would just require too much time, and I'd come home eat, and go straight to bed because I was so exhausted. A goal for time each day would not work either; so I'm pondering time for each week. I just haven't decided on a time to give to writing each week.

2017 will definitely have some different goals, but I have become more aware these last few months of what I want. What I want to be doing. Stay tuned :-) .


You can find me on Twitter, Goodreads, YouTube, and Facebook. Or email me at sarah_telling@outlook.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment